Saturday, April 21, 2007

Hard greens=tough chipping

Today I posted my first 18 hole round of the year. First drive no problem. Took a 5 wood and launched it down the middle. Pulled my 9 iron approach shot 20 yards left and pitched short. My chip shot hit just on the green and rolled off the back. 3 putts later and I have caulked up a triple bogey. The kind of start you dread. The greens at New Bern are so hard, fast, and small it can make you look silly trying to chip it close for a par. Even the best golfers are having a rough time. We need some rain in the worst way. With the help of 3 birdies in a row I did manage to squeak out a 76. I try to learn something every time I play a round and today I learned that when the greens are that firm at New Bern just pull out the Texas wedge. Its a lot more consistant play.

No comments: