Saturday, May 26, 2007

Good way to finish a Friday


By 3 o'clock Friday my nerves were about shot. It had been a long week and I was ready for the weekend when I got a call from my good friend Vinnie. How about meeting me on number 1 around 4.30 Vinnie said. You got it was my reply and I knew it was going to be a rough round when I tried to hit my first tee shot and a stabbing pain ripped through my shoulder. I have been struggling with my right shoulder for about 5 months after having gone through rehabilitation on my left shoulder for almost a year. Oh well, getting old is not for Sissy's. Vinnie is relatively new to golf and I enjoy playing with him and giving him a few pointers now and again. So here I am barely able to take the club back and I am 6 over par after 5 holes. I always tell Vinnie that the important thing about golf is to try and learn something from each round and that hitting the ball badly gives you the opportunity to improve your short game. This was my chance to prove this theory. So anyway after being 6 over after 5 and barely able to take a half swing I managed to par the next 9 holes by doing what all golfers, not just the physically gifted ones, have the ability to do. That is get it up and down. Playing bad forces you to focus on your short game. The moral of the story is this. Don't let a bad day of ball striking affect your short game. Just suck it up and grind it out.

No comments: